Dress For Success
Dress For Success: What To Wear For Your Job Interview
First impressions are everything. In job interviews, even more so. When you first meet a potential employer, they will form an opinion about you right away, largely based on how you present yourself. No matter what type of job you are interviewing for, it’s vital that you maintain a professional appearance, because how you look can either make or break your efforts.
While you might be able to get away with a more eclectic look if you were applying to a tech startup, the world of finance is historically conservative. Keep that in mind when you’re putting your look together. Think suit and tie for men, and for women, a smart business suit.
In either case, being well-groomed is essential. Shine your shoes, press your shirt, and think about giving your hair a trim before showing up for the interview.
Tips for Men's Interview Attire:
- Suits are always a good idea
- Navy, dark gray, or black
- Ensure your shirt and shoes are color-coordinated
- Wear a tie
- Pocket square optional, but a nice touch Minimal jewelry
- Neat haircut, clean hair
- Manicured nails
- Light cologne
Tips for Women's Interview Attire:
Women have greater options for what they can wear, which makes putting an outfit together a little more complicated.
- Navy, gray, black suit
- If wearing a dress, wear neutral-colored hose Conservative shoes
- Heels not too high
- Skirts either just above or just below the knee
- Minimal jewelry
- Nicely styled, neat hair
- Light makeup and perfume
- Neat, clean nails, with a low-profile polish